COVID-19 Impact Update #3
Dear valued customers,
As we prepare to celebrate Easter and later this month Anzac day, both of which are special events for the commemoration of sacrifice, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to let you know that the Multigate team recognise, appreciate and admire your dedication, hard work, sacrifices and the vital role you play as health care providers.
We know working in a hospital environment can be challenging and stressful at the best of times, let alone without the extra burdens, stock shortages and an increased risk to your personal safety that comes from operating in a world-wide pandemic. Your dedication to delivering the best possible care for patients under the current conditions is truly commendable.
This message is not just directed to those of you on the front line who are responsible for treating patients directly affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. It is aimed at each and every one of you who is doing their bit to deliver positive outcomes under what can only be described as extra-ordinarily tough conditions.
We are also very aware that Multigate, as a leading supplier of medical consumables in Australia, plays a critical part in our nations’ ability to provide effective patient care during the COVID-19 crisis.
I wanted to reassure you that while you focus on taking care of patients, Multigate is doing all it can to ensure the supply of critical goods, so you have the equipment you need to be able to perform your tasks as effectively and as safely as possible.
What is Multigate doing to help the COVID-19 effort?
- Prioritising supply to hospitals and our Government customers over other channels to ensure products in high demand go to support efforts on the front line, where they are required the most and will have the biggest impact.
- Exercising strong relationships in China and around the world to access and secure high demand Personal Protective Equipment and protect the continuity of supply of our comprehensive product range (not just those directly related to combatting COVID-19) so you can continue to perform your duties and deliver the highest level of care to patients.
- We have created a dedicated task force to investigate, secure and manage the fulfilment of new products from new and existing suppliers, to fulfil special requests from our customers struggling to obtain products through their normal supply lines. On this front, we have been extremely successful in securing special volume orders to support unprecedented demand for Personal Protective Equipment.
- Outside of these special orders we continue to manage order quantities and supply to existing customers at pre-COVID-19 forecast demand volumes. We took this position early to discourage panic buying and ensure a fair and equitable distribution of our current stocks between our regular customers. Custom Procedure Pack (CPP) usage has been greatly affected by government directive to cancel certain elective surgeries. Our Business Development Managers are working with our CPP customers to establish accurate demand forecasts.
- Constantly communicating with our partners and suppliers not only in China, but globally to make sure we keep up to date with what is happening and to secure our future stock supplies.
- We have just learnt, from Sialkot’s Deputy Commissioner, of Pakistan’s immediate instruction to stop all factory production of stainless steel instruments, until further notice. This will undoubtedly affect our ability to supply stainless steel instruments. Working with Austrade we have been successful in lobbying authorities in Pakistan to allow our suppliers to export all finished goods. Whilst Multigate carries reasonable inventories, supply will be affected. Our team is working on alternative supply arrangements for some lines and preparing forecasts for any product depletion. We will update customers as soon as possible.
- Reviewing and adjusting our business practices so we can quickly deliver the highest level of support possible in these difficult times. We have implemented several initiatives, not just in our own business but also with our suppliers and investigated rapid shipping solutions, to get important products to Australia faster.
- Constantly reviewing and updating our risk management measures to ensure we can operate our business safely, smoothly and at full capacity.
We remain dedicated to our Australian market and will continue to explore every avenue available to us to secure the essential products you need during this challenging time. If you require our assistance, please advise us of your requirement and we will do what we can to assist you.
I hope you all get to spend some time with your family over Easter and that you stay well and stay safe.
Chief Executive Officer