Disposable Electrosurgical Pencils are intended to remove tissue and control bleeding by use of high-frequency electrical current.
Precautions and Warnings
- Completely inspect package and product prior to use.
- Do not use if the sterile packaging has been opened or damaged or if the electrode has any signs of damage on the insulation or the electrode cord.Prior to use, check the connection of all components of the pencil are correctly attached and check connection to the generator. Improper electrode installation may result in injury to the patient or operating room personnel.
- Follow all instructions in the electrosurgical generator’s manual. Refer to the generator’s manual of instructions for power setting recommendations for various electrosurgical electrode configurations.
- Confirm proper electrosurgical generator setting before proceeding with surgery. Use the lowest possible setting to achieve the desired surgical effect.
- The electrosurgical electrode should be in contact with tissue prior to turning on the power to the electrosurgical pencil. A complete understanding of the principals of monopolar electrosurgical procedures is necessary to avoid injury to the patient.
- The Mulitgate Electrosurgical Pencil is a monopolar electrode and requires the use of an electrosurgical return electrode plate to be placed under the patient before commencement of the procedure.
- The use of an abrasive cleaning pad is recommended for the removal of excess char during procedures.
- Electrosurgical instruments that are activated or hot from use can cause a fire. Do not place them near or in contact with flammable materials. Use a holster or quiver to hold electrosurgical pencils or similar accessories safely away from patients, personnel, and surgical drapes
Instructions for Use
- Prior to use, plug in the pencil’s cable into the corresponding jack on the electrosurgical generator.
- While the pencil is in use, maintain the load frequency of the electrode between 0.3 – 0.5MHz and the output power of the generator between 60 – 120W.
- When not using active electrode, place in a holster or quiver in a clean, dry, nonconductive and highly visible area not in contact with the patient. Inadvertent contact with the patient may result in injury.
- The Multigate Electrosurgical Pencil should be used under the following conditions:
- Temperature: 5 – 40C
- Relative humidity: < 80%
- The maximum electrical capacity of the pencil is 5kVp
Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Refer to the Expiry Date printed on each pack label.